Tuesday, June 30, 2009

My water bill...















I spent the weekend in Los Angeles with my friend Stacy so I could get some time away from the noise and dangerous explosions of the Trickhart’s home remodel.

While I was gone Nobert’s construction crew broke the water main in my front yard. With extreme negligence the hapless crew left the water running all weekend without telling anyone what they had done. The massive leak irrigated my beautifully manicured lawn and in a delicious stream of irony it gushed into Norbert’s yard filling his almost completed basement pit with water.

Nobert was the first to discover the mess, but for some reason thought it was part of the construction process. He and his little friend (I will call him, Speve) decided to cool off in the rapidly filling hole without questioning why the water was coming from my yard.

When the construction foreman arrived he was a little miffed that no one had notified him of the water main break. The general contractor calculated that if they waited for the water to evaporate on its own Nobert’s little play pool would set the construction schedule back seventy-eight weeks. So this afternoon the contractor has hauled in an industrial sump pump to remove the water (and mud) which will take about three days.

Of course the water pump is very loud.

Nobert called me later in the day to tell me what had happened and demanded that I pay for the damages since it was my water that filled his pit.

I am so happy I had made the decision to put my attorney on retainer.

I can only imagine what my water bill will be.

- C Smith

1 comment: